By Mike Martin
Read or Download An Intimate War: An Oral History of the Helmand Conflict, 1978-2012 PDF
Best war & peace books
The non-violent protests of civil rights activists and anti-nuclear campaigners throughout the Nineteen Sixties helped to redefine Western politics. yet the place did they arrive from? Sean Scalmer uncovers their heritage in an prior generation's excessive struggles to appreciate and emulate the actions of Mahatma Gandhi.
Whilst he used to be purely 9 years previous, Satish Kumar renounced the realm and joined the wandering brotherhood of Jain priests. Dissuaded from this course by way of an internal voice on the age of eighteen, he grew to become a campaigner for land reform, operating to show Gandhi's imaginative and prescient of a renewed India into truth. Fired by way of the instance of Bertrand Russell, he undertook an 8,000-mile peace pilgrimage, strolling from India to the USA with none funds, via mountains, deserts, storms and snow.
Whilst the September eleven, 2001 assaults within the usa occurred—causing that state to salary wars of revenge in Afghanistan and Iraq—the humans of Burundi have been convalescing from approximately 40 years of violence, genocide and civil wars that had killed approximately 1000000 and produced one other million refugees.
This e-book marks a severe contribution to the intercultural discussion approximately immigration. Each 12 months, millions of Central american citizens depart their nations and stroll throughout Mexico, looking to achieve the United States. The writer explores the dispossession approach that drives those migrants from their houses and argues that they're stuck in a type of trap: forced to to migrate, yet impeded to immigrate.
- The Challenge of Global Commons and Flows for US Power: The Perils of Missing the Human Domain
- This Is an Uprising: How Nonviolent Revolt Is Shaping the Twenty-First Century
- Myth and Reality in International Politics: Meeting Global Challenges through Collective Action (International Studies Intensives)
- Cyber Conflicts and Small States
- Burning Bright Irom Sharmila
- In/security in Colombia: Writing Political Identities in the Democratic Security Policy (New Approaches to Conflict Analysis MUP)
Extra resources for An Intimate War: An Oral History of the Helmand Conflict, 1978-2012